Welcome to First United Methodist Church Shreveport! We’re glad you’re here. We’re an active, growing, vibrant church that is dedicated to embracing and extending God’s grace while passionately growing servant leaders. We know that visiting a new church can be overwhelming at times. Hopefully the answers to the questions below will help you have a great experience. Here is a snapshot of what to expect on a typical Sunday morning on the campus of First Shreveport.
What worship opportunities
- Traditional worship is held Sunday mornings at 8:30am and 11:00am in the Sanctuary, which is at the Head of Texas St. The 11:00am service has a deaf interpreter on the front left hand side. This service is televised live on KTBS channel 3. (Occassionally the broadcast switches to digital channel 3.3.) You may also watch the service live, at www.firstshreveport.org/watch-online. Previous sermons are available online or on the FUMC app, available in the App store on your Apple or Android device by searching “First United Methodist Church.”
- FaithLink contemporary worship is held at 11:00am in the Emmett Hook Center. Podcasts of this service are available at the FaithLink website or the FUMC app.
Where do I park?
Parking is available on all sides of our campus. You are welcome to park in any of the parking plazas surrounding our campus, free of charge. For your convenience, golf cart escorts are provided to and from the North, South and West Parking Plazas. The Children’s Ministry Center also has a covered drive to lessen your walk with a young child in tow. A map of our campus including the parking plazas is below.
What should I wear?
We are about who you are on the inside, not what you look like on the outside and encourage you to dress in a way that you are comfortable. Typical attire in our traditional services is business to business casual. The culture in our contemporary service is more laid back – attire for members and visitors ranges from business casual to vacation relaxed.
Is there a Welcome and
Yes, we have both a Welcome Desk for help and questions and Coffee Corner for relaxing and learning more about First. They are both located on the first floor of the Education & Administration building. Friendly greeters are available to visit with you, help you find your way around our campus and answer any questions you may have about the life of our church. Greeters are available here Sunday mornings from 8:00am-12:00pm. Starting Point campus tours take place the second Sunday of each month starting at the welcome desk at 9:30AM.
What about my children?
A fully staffed nursery for children ages 8 weeks to 4 years is available during Sunday School and worship services in the Children’s Ministry Center (CMC). Children ages 3 years to 3rd grade are invited to walk with an adult following the children’s blessing to children’s church (3-4 years in CMC, K – 3rd grade in Dawson 207) during our 11:00 worship services. Children’s choir is held Sundays at 9:00 am in CMC for 3 – 4 years olds, on the second floor of Dawson for K – 5th grade and in the choir room for 6th – 12th grade.
What about Sunday School?
Sunday School is offered for all ages at 9:45am each Sunday.
- 8 weeks – 4 years in Children’s Ministry Center
- Kindergarten – 4th grade in Dawson Building
- 5th – 12th grade in Hunter Building
- Adults, 20 classes around campus
Click here for details.
When is Holy Communion served?
Everyone is welcome to receive communion at First United Methodist Church.
- Wesleyan Communion service is held the first Sunday of the month in Couch Chapel at 9:45am
- FaithLink serves Holy Communion the first Sunday of each month during worship.>
- Holy Communion is served each Sunday at 9:30am in the Sanctuary and 12:00pm in Couch Chapel.
Handicap parking is available in the South and East Parking Plazas. Van accessible parking is located at the Emmett Hook Center and in the East Parking Plaza. Additional handicap parking is reserved on Sundays along Sprague Street. Golf cart escorts are provided to and from the North, South and West Parking Plazas and friendly greeters are at the Sanctuary Elevator door. Large print bulletins & hymnals as well as hearing devices are available in the Sanctuary Narthex. Sign language for the 11:00am traditional service is provided. The interpreter is located at the front left of the Sanctuary for our deaf and hearing impaired community. Children with special needs are provided assistance through our GEMs ministry. Complete a Needs Assessment Form in the Children’s Ministry Center with Mrs. Billie Tate or Emily Claycomb.
How do I find my way around the campus?
We offer Campus Tours every 2nd Sunday of the month, from 9:45 to 10:45AM. Join us at the Welcome Desk in the lobby of the E&A Bldg. (right next to Coffee Corner).
How do I get in touch?
Street Address: 500 Common St. • Shreveport, LA 71101 Mailing Address: PO Box 1567 • Shreveport, LA 71165-1567 Phone: 318.424.7771 Online: www.firstshreveport.org eMail: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: www.facebook.com/fumcshreveport Twitter: @FUMCShreveport