Whether you dread Valentine’s Day or love it, this list is for you! February is a great time to remember what true love is: God’s love was revealed among us in this way: God sent his only Son into the world so that we might live through him. In this is love, not that we loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the atoning sacrifice for our sins. Beloved, since God loved us so much, we also ought to love one another (1 John 4:9-11). As we share our love and God’s love by serving others, our own lives are blessed. The love within us grows, bears fruit and transforms us more closely into the image of Christ. So, my friends, let us love by giving and serving so others may live abundantly.
10. Pray for our missionary team in Russia.
9. Write a note of encouragement to a foreign missionary.
8. Anonymously buy a meal for someone dining alone.
7. Give a box of chocolates to a stranger.
6. Call someone you haven’t spoken to in a long time.
5. Give valentines to residents of a Nursing Home.
4. Invite over or visit the loneliest person you know.
3. Forgive someone who was mean to you and send them flowers.
2. Commit to mentor a child at the Travis Street Lighthouse.
1. Adopt a grandparent to spend time with, listen to, and care about.
FEBRUARY GROW OPPORTUNITIES
Mark 10:45 – “For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.”
Mark – Commit to join your church family in reading through the Gospel of Mark this month. This can be done in solitude, with your family, with a reading partner or with a small group. Set aside time on a regular basis to read and reflect on God’s Word this month.
A Place at the Table by Chris Seay on RightNow Media
In a culture built on consumption it is easy to forget the poor that Jesus cared so much about. Chris Seay invites readers on a journey of self-examination, discipline, and renewed focus on Jesus that will change their lives forever. The six-session series, shot in such locations as the Holy Land, Haiti, and Ecuador, will help small groups go on a passionate journey of radical faith, personal action, solidarity with the poor, and extravagant grace. If you do not have a RightNow Media account please email Stephanie Clark for an invitation (firstname.lastname@example.org).
• Take the Discipleship Survey at members.firstdiscipleship.org. Take 10 minutes to reflect on your understanding of faith and pray about steps you will take to grow this month in wisdom. (Your answers are confidential and for your reflection only.)
• Serve as a tutor and mentor for a youth or child at the Travis Street Lighthouse. Contact Michelle Osborn at email@example.com.
• Pray for the Russian mission trip (Feb. 13-23)