In 2010, First United Methodist Church committed to a covenant relationship with Darivager Orphanage. Currently there are 61 children under Pastor Mongerard and Neemy’s care, and the monthly support FUMC provides goes toward the purchase of food, maintaining the sleeping quarters, and educational expenses. FUMC sends additional $1000.00 per month to Dr. Osselin Junior, who oversees the medical care for not only the children at Darivager, but five other orphanages in Les Cayes. (Yes, the $1000.00 is Dr. Junior’s entire salary.)
In the spirit of transformational mission, our Global Mission ministry leaders met with Pastor Mongerard to review his five-year vision for raising the living standards for the children at Darivager Orphanage:
1. Rebuild the church located beside Darivager
a. This includes the building for the secondary school, which is six classes of children
b. Solar-power the church and school
2. Build a 3-classroom building to house K-3 students
3. Build new latrines and showers (May 2016)
4. Project for the yard
a. Mango trees & flowers planted
b. Paved area for parking, with basketball goals at either end
c. Dedicated soccer field
5. Buy additional land for agriculture
a. The land now includes approximately 2 acres of corn, eggplant and other various vegetables.
b. One older man farms the land, & he is teaching the children to cultivate the crops.
c. A dedicated pin area for goats & pigs
6. Build a guest house for teams
a. Include shower and toilets
b. Pastor said he wanted our team, and others, to call this their second home.
7. Computer lab for the children
a. This could be a room in the new school…
b. Include 10-12 laptop computers.
c. Could be powered by solar panels; need to complete energy assessment
8. Purchase a truck
9. Drill a new well and rewire existing solar power system to the
orphanage (Jan/Feb 2016)
As you can see, we have been able to mark several things off our list, and we continue to prayerfully consider how God will use our resources to make Darivager self-sustaining. We thank God every day for Pastor Mongerard’s leadership and vision, and Neemy’s passion for community health. Together, they are transforming Haiti for our children.
Register Now for Costa Rica!
- Who: Ages 10+; All Students under 18 must be accompanied by a parent
- When: SPRING BREAK – March 26 – April 2, 2016
- Where: San Isidro, Costa Rica
- What: Construction
- How much: $1200.00 ($200.00 due upon registration; $500.00 due by February 1; $500.00 due March 1.
2016 Global Missions & Events
- RUSSIAN MISSION TRIP – February 13-23
- COSTA RICA FAMILY MISSION TRIP – March 26 – April 2
- LOCAL & GLOBAL MISSIONS EXTRAVAGANZA – Friday, April 22
- HAITI MISSION TRIP – May 27 – June 3
- RUSSIAN MISSION TRIP – June
- COSTA RICA YOUTH MISSION TRIP – July 9-16
- ROMANIA PARTNERSHIP DEVELOPMENT TRIP – September
- HAITI MISSION TRIP – October
- MISSIONS LAUNCH LUNCH – Sunday, November 13
- ECUADOR MEDICAL MISSION TRIP – November 19-26
- UGANDA MISSION TRIP – December 27-January 6